Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Fish Guanaja - The Fleet is In!

Fishing in Guanaja Honduras. As you can see in the picture below, this island retreat does have a commercial fishing fleet. Right now they are in port resting up for next season when they will cruise off and be gone for many weeks at a time.

Prior to Hurricane Mitch, commercial fishing was a mainstay to the economy in Guanaja, but after the big blow 10 years ago, it just never managed to recoup. Many of the boats were destroyed and the packing plants took a big hit also. You must remember, this is Honduras and things move at a slower pace down here.



Mostly these guys are looking for lobster, shrimp and crab, but they say that the price of fuel has skyrocketed down here as well as the rest of the world and it has gotten to the point where it is difficult to make a living. Many say they might not take their boat out next season.

Let's hope that something happens soon to reduce the price of fuel for these guys so they can go out and make a living.

1 comment:

Bonnie N Bob's Travels said...

Hi Denise.
Thank you for viewing my blog and leading me to yours. I've really enjoyed reading what you have written about Guanaja. My husband & I love that island too. I'll make sure to tell Jim & Cindy you said hello. They are wonderful people and we enjoyed our visit with them. I'll be in touch. Thanks again