Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Fish Guanaja - Stalking the Bonefish!

Fish Guanaja Honduras, from the deep blue sea to the flats were the turtle grass grows. There is really something for every type of angler.

I remember, as a kid, fly fishing with my Dad up in the cold mountain streams of Washington state. Holy cow, what fun! Gearing up to wade into the icy river water and afterwards cooking a trout on a open fire.... hot chocolate out of the thermos to keep the chill out of our bones...

Fast forward to the present day and you'll find me sneaking up on a bonefish on the flats in Guanaja wearing crocs to protect my feet, shorts, t-shirt and a hat to keep the sun out of my eyes. My fly rod in hand, wading through turtle grass, stalking a big bonefish. Many of these guys have never even seen an artificial fly ... just the opportunity to cast to these magnificent creatures is a treat.

Of course, I am strictly catch and release with bonefish, so there won't be any fish on the grill for dinner unless a permit wanders by and snaps up my fly. I guess we will just have to sit back and enjoy a cold Salva Vida and tell tall tales about the fish that got away!

Fly fishing in Guanaja is an adventure for everyone!

No comments: